Thursday 18 August 2022

Teesdale Barnard Castle CAMC Site (N54.546386 W1.941264) and home.

 Wednesday, 17th August 2022

More like 'normal' UK summer this morning 12c and sunny with cloud, but, it turns into a 'hot' UK summers day, 19c my lunch time.


I can't convince Kathleen to go cycling, "too many hills", is the cry, "but you have electric assistance now", is my reply. But, to no avail.

Instead, we walk to Egglestone Abbey.  I am sure I have been here, many, many years ago, with my parents.

Almost 5.5 miles, a fairly easy and very pleasant walk, along the River Tees.

The only excitement is when we encounter a herd of sheep making their way along one of


the narrower sections of the route. We assume there will be a shepherd and/or dog guiding them, but, no, they are out on their own. We manage to herd them past us, clearly, all of this Sundays watching Country File have not been wasted.

Back to Barnard Castle, in time for lunch, and, it is Market Day, so, fairly busy.

 I do have a recommendation from my pal, Bill, for a place called Rise, but, Kathleen doesn't want breakfast type food and is looking for something 'plain'. 


We choose The Raby Arms Hotel, not our best decision of the day, inexpensive, but, Works Canteen standard food. Although, the staff are very pleasant, which, I note, after the event, is what most of the reviews say.

Should have taken Bill's recommendation... next time. 

Just received a message from Bill, with a pub recommendation in Cotherstone. Amazingly, that was my 'other' walk idea for this morning!


I think we will be back here, so, I will save them for next time.
















Thursday, 18th August 2022.

Cloudy. grey and a few spots of rain, as we pack final bits to leave, just the sort of day you feel pleased you are going.

Lengthy discussions with Kathleen, yesterday, about not rushing, but, taking a leisurely approach, with a view to leaving about 10:00 - 10:30. Complete waste of time, we are driving out the gate by 08:45.

But, we have had a great time, it has renewed our enthusiasm for the Motorhome, after the disruption of Covid.

Just over 40 miles home, via the 'scenic' route, totally uneventful, but, busier than I expected, where are all of these people going at 08:45 in the morning?, can it be that place called 'Work"?
























No comments:

Post a Comment