Wednesday 29 July 2020

New Forest Centenary CAMC Site... continued....

Tuesday, 28th July 2020

New Forest Centenary CAMC Site (N50 47'11" W1 42'24")

Weather improving, no rain, and, a little sun.

No activity yesterday, so, today, we go walking.

Approximately, six miles to Bransgore and back, a little grocery shopping, plus coffee and very nice cake in the village coffee shop.

Wednesday, 29th July 2020

New Forest Centenary CAMC Site (N50 47'11" W1 42'24")

A bright sunny day.

We have big plans today, (well, I suppose, to be fair, I have big plans), a 30 mile circular cycle route.

I cannot download the route to my Garmin, because the Garmin website is still playing up, so, I use Komoot (for the first time).

It all starts well, a little section of quiet road, followed by dedicated, reasonable quality cycle track, through typical New Forest landscape, complete with wild New Forest ponies.

An actual tarmac surface to start...



Then, hard packed gravel, through the wooded area.










Things begin to deteriorate, when we have to ford a rather deep stream, 









Kathleen opts for walking across on some logs.

Then, we get lost in an area of bog, with Komoot telling us we need to be 200 yards to our right. Fair enough, there is a tarmac road there, which we can see and hear, but, there is a stream, a fence and a steep embankment between us and the road!

We eventually find our way around the bog, and reach the tarmac road. 

Actually, Kathleen's initial instincts had been correct, the two men in the equation (me and the sat-nav voice) were wrong, but, we will not dwell on that.

A short distance along the road, we have to turn right, disaster, a bit of a mix up at road junction, and I stop, Kathleen doesn't, crash and Kathleen falls off her bicycle, cuts her leg, and collects a few bruises.

A slight pause to mop up the blood and then we have no choice but to head back to the campsite.

6 comments:

  1. You guys need to practise social distancing
    whilst cycling....I reckon at least 10metres if you are going to avoid more collisions and the repercussions afterwards! Hope you are both ok and back in the saddle soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, in a car if someone runs into the back of you, it is usually deemed to be their fault, but, when it is your wife.... different rules apply, for the sake of peace and quiet ;)

      Delete
    2. All OK, but, I can tell you, I have paid a heavy price today. The injured party nursing her cuts and bruises, me, waiting on her hand and foot, making meals, bringing drinks, sympathising.... the list goes on ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm with you Ken, Dana did the same to me recently when I stopped at a give way marking on the road! All my fault for stopping. 😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it was your fault. There is a law of the Universe, which says that Kathleen and Dana are always right. Not sure who gets the final say between those two mind you, that would probably be Armageddon ;) Just like me, you can man about it on here, of course, in the hope they never read it ;)

      Delete
    2. Moan that should be, not man.

      Delete