Sunday 29 September 2019

Roermond, Helenawerf (N51.19377, 5.979741)... contd...

Saturday, 28th September 2019

I thought UK weather could be changeable, but, woke to pouring rain, while having breakfast, rain stopped, sunshine, now only 10:15am and blowing a gale, with grey cloudy sky! A brief spell of sunshine in mid afternoon, with 18C, but, it all ends in a downpour.

I think this may be only the third day of our trip when we are confined to the van by by the weather. This is not good news, it is like sharing the van with a caged lined, as Kathleen prowls around looking for "things to do", which usually means disrupting me as I quietly amuse myself, reading, on computer etc etc.

By shortly after lunch time, there are brief sunny spells, it is surprisingly warm, and, it has not rained for an hour or so.

We take a walk into town, to visit the shops. After only about six shops, Kathleen is able to buy what she is looking for. 

It gets better(?), there is a market taking place in the market square, I am able to buy some bulbs (crocus, snowdrop, hyacinths), where better than Netherlands, to buy bulbs, although, I suppose, I should have bought tulips?

Divine intervention saves the day, there is a sudden heavy downpour, we dive into a pavement bar (with cover). Kathleen is in good humour, after successful shopping and buys the beer and snacks. All is well with the world!

Sunday, 29th September 2019

Today begins looking bad, it is raining, and windy at the same time, but, the good news is, it is mild at 20C.

It being Sunday, Kathleen is off to church. By the time of the Mass (11:30), the rain has stopped, and, I am able to explore and ramble around the town, whilst Kathleen lights candles etc.


It is amazing what you find, just browsing around, for example, it would appear this church, Sint Christofell Kathederal,  is one of the many start points in Europe for the Pilgrims to walk the Camino (Santiago de Compostella).















Although it is lunch time, on a rather damp and windy Sunday, the restaurants and bars around the market square still have their sun shades out, and, their outside seating in place.










Once Kathleen emerges from Church, we get ourselves a table (inside) at the Brasserie Entree, for a very enjoyable lunch.

This is Kathleen, lecturing me on drinking too much, because I had two glasses of wine, whilst she sinks a Cointreau after her dessert!













2 comments:

  1. Ken: This is my omnibus edition... if I know you are away I will, as your follower, look at your exploits and continue to wonder how you avoid death if Kathleen saw the posts.
    I fully understand the Caged Animal thingy - Liz is identical and feels trapped in our "tin can" Reading and the Kindle are my saviour (although the religious meaning should be ignored).
    Saturday does for Sunday - who invented that one (like the ridiculous indulgences etc, etc, - obviously man made as is the whole thing - is my ever more active atheism showing?)
    How is back pack doing, ooooooppps, just seen your note ;-)
    Just as well you didn't buy tulips as you may have started another Mania!
    We note that German sites in particular are (in)famous for static like sites which, like allotments always rurn into a mess. We stayed on one at Remscheid (for our friends who's daughter is coming in October to brush up her Geordie) that is bad but Judith (friend) said they are now banning new additions without planning permission although existing installations can stay in their own mess!
    When are you back and by which route?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doug. I am safe, unless, Kathleen takes an interest in Facebook and/or my blog. If that were to happen, I think I would have to seek a safe haven. ;) I don’t actually mind the “tidying up” and vacuuming, if it is at the other end of the van, or, as far away as possible, but, it is always where I happened to be sitting!
    We have had a good run, with weather, but, the past few days have been a bit of a test, not sure if this is typical for Netherlands in September/October. We have woken up this morning (1 Oct) to pouring rain and thunder! Yesterday was at least dry. Currently deciding what to do. The plan was to head for Utrecht, which, I have been told, is very nice. But, current wisdom is, if we are to confined to van, may as well do it here as there. Kathleen is conducting a “survey” of the “facilities”, with a view to amusing herself washing hair etc, at least it means no tidying up. Every cloud and all that.

    ReplyDelete